U17s North East League Champions!

1st February 2024

Latest News

Donabate Community College – 1 

Dundalk Grammar School – 0 

DCC faced Dundalk Grammer in the North-East Leinster league cup final on the 23rd of January. DCC fought hard throughout the match and came out well deserved winners with a second half goal. The team were led out the tunnel by their captain James Freel.

DCC played the 1st half against a strong wind which caused Dundalk to press from the beginning with their first chance coming after 12 minutes on the left side of the box. The shot was closed down brilliantly by DCC goalkeeper Harry Stenson.
Dundalk kept up the pressure but couldn’t break down the amazing DCC defence. 

DCC’s first big chance of the game came in the 23rd minute when Jack Molloy was played through with a great ball but the effort was unfortunately called offside.  

Shortly after this, Dundalk came close to breaking the deadlock with a shot inside the 6 yard box, which seemed like a certain goal, but Harry Stenson came to the rescue and got a hand to it. 

The last chance before the end of the half came from a free kick taken by Oisin McSorley which was whipped in towards the keeper who caught it and was forced to parry it away into the danger area of the box where it was cleared away by a Dundalk defender. 

At the break, the game was nil all. Dundalk had come closest to scoring, but DCC were playing the second half with the wind behind them and were determined to get a win after a great defensive first half performance. 

DCC started strongly in the second half, with an early chance with a great ball through saw Jack Molloy through on goal. He was brought to the ground, but no penalty was given. 

Only a minute later, with Dundalk on the attack, a shot opened up for their striker, but well pressed by the defence he missed the nearly open goal. 

10 minutes into the second half, a poor clearance from the Dundalk keeper fell to Liam Murray, shooting from just inside the halfway line, over the keeper and into the back of the net saw DCC lead 1-0. 

Now with the momentum behind them DCC continued to press, a great ball in from Liam Murray again fell to James Freel who’s shot was saved. 

Shortly after, a Dundalk counter left Harry Stenson 1 on 1 inside the 18-yard box, a great save by Stenson kept Donabate ahead. The Dundalk press didn’t stop, and another chance was blocked by Stenson again and cleared of the line Oisín McSorley. 

An intense finish to the game left Donabate 1 and Dundalk 0, securing DCC the title. 

Special mention to Harry Stenson who had an outstanding performance in goal with this final being his first game in goal for the school team and also a special thank you to Mr. Hopkins who managed the team throughout their season.  

DCC: Harry Stenson, Oisin McSorley, Andy Caswell, Cameron Hall, Harrison Burke, Liam Murray, Luke Smith, Jack Molloy, James Freel, Jake Hall, Harry McGrath, Liam McNamara, Aidan Walsh, Jack Scott Lee, Stanley Nwodo, Sean Doherty, Kevin Burke, Harry O’Mahoney. 

Report and photos: Daire Gleeson and Jack Byrne, TY Journalism